Thursday, July 16, 2009

Am I a twit?

I now have a twitter account. Does that make me a twit? I have learned what a hashtag is, and some other things. I am still challenged by the amazing abbreviated, unpunctuated vocabulary of texting, twitter and IM. It just goes against the grain and all those years of training in English classes to butcher the language on purpose. Reading it is almost as difficult as trying to compose a message that sounds cool. Capitalization, spelling and punctuation rules are not cool. My children enjoy great hilarity at my expense whenever I send them a text message, so I am equally apprehensive about twitter.
I understand that this can be a valuable tool for sending the same message to lots of people at once. A couple of weeks ago, the Jonas Brothers were at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington getting ready for a concert. They sent out a tweet to followers of the Jonas Brothers that the first 500 fans to arrive could get t-shirts or something, I forget exactly. It took about 20 minutes for 500+ people to congregate. Pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment