Monday, August 10, 2009

Wikis

I think I would have been happier if I had never known about the Discussion and History tabs in Wikipedia. It's just terrifying to see the process revealed. How do we decide that a particular piece of information is a fact? This is especially hard for librarians, I think. We worry so much about credible sources. Of course, we have always issued a disclaimer for any information from Wikipedia. Do editorial boards of venerable reference sources have similar heated discussions? Of course they do. In the end, someone has to make a judgment call about what gets published. Ultimately, the user of the information must look at everything that's out there and make choices about what to accept as fact.
Making wiki pages was pretty easy. I did have trouble trying to title one of my pages "Interests" or "Interests & Hobbies." Each time it would jump to someone else's page who liked scuba diving. Finally, I titled it "Stuff I Like" and I was able to proceed. My pages are under "Debi" if anyone wants to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment