Thursday, August 6, 2009

LibraryThing

I have the strangest sensation that I have just come down out of a very cluttered attic and I need to brush the cobwebs out of my hair. I set up an account and put in a few books with tags, and set out to explore. The group for Librarians who LibraryThing was good--there was a string going about dealing with patrons and it was pretty funny. Apparently there is a group called I See Dead People's Books, but when I tried to find it, I got 1697 hits. There must be some more powerful search strategies, but I have not found them yet. The tools section offered some good stuff and ways to sort of connect the dots with applications that could be useful. I was surprised to recognize pictures of my favorite authors when I hit the "gallery" tab.
I have heard of some practical ways that libraries are using LibraryThing for the tagging, etc. My impression at this point in time is that I wish I had been in on the ground floor and watched this build, and learned to navigate. I think it would take me a number of hours to really learn what is here and how to get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment